Wigs are a game-changer, not just for those looking to switch up their style, but also for anyone experiencing hair loss. With wigs, you get the freedom to style and personalize your look right in the comfort of your home.
The real magic of human hair wigs lies in their ability to mimic your hair. And the best part? You don't need to be a styling pro to make them look great.
If you're new to wigs or looking to perfect your wig-styling skills, here's a complete guide to get you started:
Human Hair Wigs and Synthetic Wigs.
First, it's important to understand the difference between human hair wigs and synthetic wigs. This knowledge will help you figure out how to style them and what tools you can use:
- Human Hair Wigs - These wigs are made from 100% natural hair, offering the most natural look and feel. They are the most versatile when it comes to styling – you can use heat styling tools just as you would on your own hair.
- Synthetic Wigs - Made from synthetic fibers, these wigs are easy to maintain and more affordable, but less durable than human hair wigs. For this type of wig, heatless curls are the safest way to style your synthetic wig.
1. Install and Customize Your Wig.
- Prepare the wig: Place the wig on a wig stand, head foam, or directly on your head, and brush your wig thoroughly.
- Install the wig: To wear a wig, start by braiding your hair so it's flat. Then, use a special wig cap to cover your hair. Make sure this cap fits snugly on your head. Once you've got the cap on, put on your wig.
- Adjust the Wig Cap: Many wigs come with adjustable straps or clips, allowing for a snug and secure fit. Make sure to measure your head first and choose the wig accordingly. Adjust it so it sits right and trim the lace at the front of the wig.
- Conceal: If the lace doesn't seamlessly blend with your scalp or forehead, you can use concealer to match its color. Choose a concealer that closely matches your skin tone and apply a small amount onto a sponge. Use the sponge to blend the concealer onto the lace front until it matches your skin tone.
Here is a complete video tutorial on how to customize a wig at home:
@irresistibleme_hair @lesliejoanna_ is made for this brunette human hair wig😍 is made for this brunette human hair wig😍 #irresistibleme #humanhairwig #wig #brunette #foryoupage #fyp #foryou ♬ original sound - Irresistible Me
2. Style your wig.
Human hair wigs can be styled with heat tools and products just like your own hair. You can use styling products on your wig, but it's important to wash it regularly to prevent product buildup. This ensures your wig stays clean and looks its best.
Synthetic wigs are affordable, but they usually don't stay in good shape for very long. Adding styling products, like hairspray or heat protectants, can make them wear out even quicker. So, it's best not to use any heat-styling products on synthetic hair.
Check here: how to make synthetic wigs look more real.
Human hair wigs: You can style your human hair wig using all types of heat tools, here are a few simple ideas:
- For straightening your wig, take a 1-inch section of hair and gently run the heated flat iron from the root to the tip. Continue this process on each section until you've straightened the entire wig.
- To create curls, clamp the curling iron on a 1-inch section of hair in the middle, between the roots and tips. Then, wrap the lower part of the hair around the wand, hold for 5 to 10 seconds, and release. Repeat this on each section until you've curled all the hair on the wig.
@irresistibleme_hair How shiny and luscious this hair wig looks🤤 @iambrookeellison #irresistibleme #install #humanhairwig #wig #brown #foryoupage #fyp #foryou ♬ original sound - Irresistible Me
Synthetic wigs: Using heat tools like curling irons or straighteners on synthetic wigs can damage the fibers. Instead, consider using heatless methods such as steam.
To add curls to your synthetic wig, you can apply hair rollers and then use a steamer or a blow dryer to set the curls. Afterward, allow the wig to cool and dry before removing the rollers. This will help you achieve your desired style without harming the wig's synthetic fibers.
Another styling you can make on your wigs is to trim them, make sure to have the wig standing on a fixed stand or your head, and also use special scissors for trimming.
3. Dye your wig.
According to our Hair Specialist, properly dyeing your human hair wig doesn't harm the hair:
"Maintaining the right room temperature is crucial since wigs lack the natural heat from the body."
Some important tips she recommends include diluting the dye as some hairs may absorb the color more easily. It's essential to apply the dye evenly across the hair to avoid uneven coloring. It's advised to conduct an allergy test before using the dye, especially if you have a sensitive scalp.
@sapplesauce666 Dying a human hair wig from @Irresistible Me! (Code “IrresistibleMe_Leah”) Using @arcticfoxhaircolor poison and wrath (use code “sapplesauceAF” for 💸 off!) #hairdye #arcticfoxhaircolor #althair #alternativehair #wigdying #ombrehair #redhairdye #hairdyetransformation ♬ Paint The Town Red - Doja Cat
3. Maintain your Wig.
@irresistibleme_hair Step by step on how to wash your wig at home #irresistibleme #hairwig #syntheticwig #howtowashawig #foryoupage #fyp #foryou ♬ original sound - Irresistible Me
Storing the Wig Properly: When not in use, store your wig on a wig stand or mannequin head in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight to maintain its shape and color.
See here: how to care for your wig.
In short, wigs are an amazing invention because they're easy to use and you can change your style quickly without damaging your hair.
Human hair wigs look the most realistic and you can style them any way you like, while synthetic wigs are easier on your wallet and simpler to take care of but don't offer as many styling possibilities.
This guide shows you how to put on, style, and look after your wig. So, have fun trying out new styles with your wig!